Thursday, June 30, 2016

Kite surfer rescued by Batman and Robin

A kite surfer who got into trouble in the sea off a Sussex beach had two superheroes come to his rescue. Two friends dressed as Batman and Robin paddled out to rescue the man on Sunday.



David Schneider, 40, from Lancing and Derren Guile, 40, from Worthing, were in kayaks taking part in the Superhero Paddle at Shoreham Beach at the time. David, aka Robin, said: “We were out in the water having a bit of fun and I noticed this kite surfer had got into a bit of trouble. His kite was in the water and he was being dragged across the beach.

“I probably watched him for about ten minutes and thought ‘he’s not getting that back up’. So I paddled over, obviously dressed as Robin and called my comrade to help me. He was gobsmacked when we turned up. He just looked round and said ‘oh no’. “I said ‘it’s not every day Batman and Robin come to save you is it?’.” The superhero friends then helped the relieved man back to shore, before returning to collect his surfboard.



“He wasn’t drowning but he was in trouble,” David said. “Unless he got his kite back up he was going to struggle, and the southwesterly wind was dragging him across. I would have thought another kite surfer might have helped him because they normally do, but it became obvious no one was coming.” David added: “After we returned his board to him he very quickly disappeared, I think he was a bit embarrassed.”

No comments: